Monday 19 May 2014

Acoustic Spectrum playlist 19th May

This is my 200th posting on blogspot. I have been writing a review of Melissa Greener's gig at Garstang last week but as it is still a work-in-progress you'll just have to read the playlist for tonight's show instead. The featured album is the self-titled new release by Edinburgh three-piece The Rising Souls which is being released on the 23rd of May with a gig at The Caves in Edinburgh. I would describe their music as acoustic rock with a strong blues influence and listening to front man Dave Archibald I am reminded of Paul Rodgers when he was the vocalist with Free. The promoter who sent me their cd tells me that Dave has also been compared to Paolo Nutini but as I'm not very familiar with his music I can't really comment on that. But if you tune in to the show tonight you'll be able to hear two tracks from The Rising Souls and you can make your own minds up. They have some videos on YouTube if you can't wait until 9 o'clock.

There are a couple of albums being released today namely Borderlands by Haddo and A Thousand Hearts by Cara Dillon. I've sent off for a copy of Cara's cd so it may well be my featured album next week and I haven't had a chance to give the Borderlands cd a proper listen yet so they may well be on next week's show too. So without further ado, as my good friend Reza used to say on his radio show, here is tonight's playlist followed by the Souls' press release...

Jez Lowe - Old Bones
The Rising Souls - Fool in Time
Inge Thomson - How Far
Martin Simpson - Nobody's Fault But Mine
Marit & Rona - Rory's Dinosaur Jumper
Kate Bush - Cloudbusting
Richard Thompson - Keep Your Distance
Emily Smith - Gypsy Davy
Sarah-Jane Summers & Juhani Silvola - Culloden waltz
Bert Jansch - Bright Sunny Morning
Breabach - Seven Men of Knoydart
The Rising Souls - The Boxer
Kevin Henderson - Da Fields O Foula



No comments:

Post a Comment