I was saddened to hear of the passing of ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard. I got to see them twice in concert, the first time being at the Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donington back in 1985 when they were still riding high on the success of their album Eliminator. More recently I saw them at the Manchester Apollo in 2013. Their music, especially albums such as Tres Hombres, El Loco and Deguello, have never been far from my turntable though those last two I originally bought on a 2 on 1 tape released in 1983 presumably to cash in on Eliminator.
Anyway, I've loved their music all of my adult life and it's sad that Billy is now the last remaining member of their classic and much-loved line-up.
This mix features three of their songs along with some other favourites of mine from the world of blues, boogie and a bit of gospel thrown in too.
Tune in on Mixcloud or on Ginger Feather FM from Monday at 1pm or 8pm.
ZZ Top - Dust My Broom
Dom Martin - Daylight I Will Find
Little Whitt & Big Bo - Mean Old World
Eric Bibb - Lovin' In My Baby's Eyes
Jackie Venson - Rollin' On
Blind Boys of Alabama - Amazing Grace
Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - Gone But Not Forgotten
ZZ Top - Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell
Robert Cray - The Forecast (Calls for Pain)
Hat Fitz & Cara - Sister Sister
Seasick Steve - Back in the Doghouse
Eric Clapton - Hold Me Lord
Captain Beefheart - Gimme That Harp Boy
ZZ Top - I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
No comments:
Post a Comment