Monday 4 December 2023

Recommended releases of 2023

As we approach the end of another year I've been having a look back at the albums released in 2023 which I have either been sent promo copies of or have bought myself. My thanks go to Jane Brace and Pat Tynan for sending me downloads and CDs and as I think I wrote a year ago, they along with Rock n Reel magazine have been my main sources of new material. This is really the lifeblood of my radio show as it keeps it interesting for me, hearing new music mainly from the UK & Ireland and across the pond in the USA and Canada. 

I haven't made it to that many gigs this year but highlights include the Towersey Festival, Hayseed Dixie at Kanteena here in Lancaster and Kathryn Tickell & The Darkening at the Victoria Hall in Settle. 

I have had a couple of late arrivals, Future Meets The Past by James J Turner and Auk Elk Antler by Jo Gillot. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but their music is always worth lending your ear to. 

Thanks as ever to Citizen K and Gordon for keeping Ginger Feather FM on air. I do enjoy putting these shows together and my thanks also go to my regular listeners on GF FM and Mixcloud.

All the best for the Festive Season and for 2024. 

CB, Lancaster
December 2023

So here's my Top 15 releases of 2023 in alphabetical order. 

Meg Baird - Furling 
Dallahan - Speak of the Devil 
Rhiannon Giddens - You're The One 
Gilmore & Roberts - Documenting Snapshots 
GNOSS - Stretching Skyward
Honey & The Bear - Away Beyond The Fret
IMAR - Awakening
Nuala Kennedy - Shorelines 
Mikey Kenney - Northwestern English Fiddle
The Low Countries - Betty's Boudoir Sessions Vol. II 
Megson - What Are We Trying To Say? 
Merry Hell - Let The Music Speak For Itself 
RURA - Dusk Moon 
Kathryn Tickell & The Darkening - Cloud Horizons 
The Young 'Uns - Tiny Notes 



No comments:

Post a Comment